MASH Contact (Referral to Children’s Social Care)

If You Are A Member Of The Public 

If you’re worried about a child or young person, or think they’re being abused, please speak with a professional that works with children at the earliest opportunity. If possible, speak to someone that works with the child/family you are worried about. If you can’t do this or need any support then please call 01752 668000 or email the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub at or outside of normal working hours call Plymouth Out of Hours Service on 01752 346984.

If You Are A Professional 

If you are worried about a child or young person then in the first instance please read our guidance on the Building Support page, to help you understand how to best support that child, young person or their family. Where the involvement of statutory services (Children’s Social Care) might be appropriate, please complete a MASH Contact Form. If you have an urgent child protection concern then please call Plymouth Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 01752 668000 (or 01752 346984 out of hours). You will be asked to follow up your call by submitting a MASH Contact form the same day.

MASH Consultation Line For Professionals

If you are a professional you can call the MASH Consultation Line for Professionals where you can call for advice and guidance around those situations where you’re unclear or unsure about the appropriate support, or if a referral into children’s social care is needed.

You can speak to the MASH Consultation Line about a range of hypothetical issues or concerns.

To speak about a specific child you should have consent from the parents or carers providing it is safe to do so. The only time this isn’t applicable is when seeking consent might place a child at risk of further harm.

The number to call is 01752 304339 and is open 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) and will not be available during hours that are covered by the Out of Hours Team.

The consultation line does not replace the right of partner agencies to make a referral directly into Children’s Social Care when the concerns may constitute significant harm.

Online Professional Enquiry Form

If you want to speak to the allocated social worker for a child already receiving children’s social care support, and it’s not an urgent safeguarding concern, you can request a call back by completing the online Professionals Enquiry Form below.

Online Professionals Enquiry Form- Plymouth City Council- How To Contact Us If You Are Working With A Child