Child Sexual Abuse : Face to Face Course Full Day 09:30 – 16:30 (Arrival and Registration between 09:00 and 09:25 for a 09:30 start)
Course Description and Outcomes
We all play a crucial part in understanding and noticing when children are showing us or telling us that they are at risk of or suffering sexual abuse and feel confident to respond appropriately. 500,000 children are estimated to be sexually abused every year and whilst it is just as common as other forms of abuse, it is less identified in our safeguarding systems.
This course offers an advanced (Level 3) and detailed knowledge about the nature, scale and response to sexual abuse and reminds us why it should be embedded into our professional thinking. As such, participants should already have a good understanding of child sexual abuse and either have attended the half day Together for Childhood Sexual Abuse Workshop or have current practice knowledge.
Delivered by the NSPCC the content will use the very latest research, provide practical assessment tools and consider the impact abuse can have on children, families and communities. Participants will:
- Develop their understanding of the signs, symptoms and types of child sexual abuse and apply this in practice.
- Understand how children and young people show and tell us they are being harmed.
- Understand why children may not report abuse
- Be able to have courageous conversations with families so they receive the right help at the right time.
- Look at assessment tools to aid assessment and guide practice.
- Consider and apply lessons from local and national Child Safeguarding Practice Reviews.
- Consider responses to adults and young people who show sexually concerning behaviour.
Who is this course for?
This course is for all staff/volunteers across the multi-agency network who work with children, young people, parents/carers or adults and who could potentially contribute to assessing, planning, supporting and reviewing the needs of children and young people. As highlighted above this is an advanced course where participants are expected to have an existing knowledge base on this particular form of abuse.
There is a cost to attend this course for all partner agencies including the statutory and voluntary sectors. Some agencies have a pre-paid funding arrangement with us meaning the cost of attendance is already covered. These are:
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Plymouth City Council
- Devon Integrated Care Board
- City College Plymouth
- Livewell Southwest
- Plymouth Hospitals Trust
- All Children’s Centre’s
- All Childminders
- All Nursery/Pre-school Settings
If you don’t work for any of the above agencies or services, the cost to attend is £85 per person.
How can I book a space and what are the dates and times?
You can book a space using our Microsoft Form online application below.